How to prepare tender Beef Stew – howto-daily.com
Welcome to howto-daily.com. Blog where you learn how to do anything. Beef Stew. Ok, yum! The beef is so tender and just melts in your mouth! Every bit of this beef stew is infused with wonderful flavor from slow roasting in the oven.
This hearty beef stew is quite a treat and is every bit as good as it’s cousin, the famous beef bourguignon and lamb stew. Pair it with Crusty French Bread or with mashed potatoes. It is so satisfying!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
What is Beef Stew Meat?
As opposed to the common norm where people use any meat to make beef stew, my(best) beef stew meat is made up of the pieces that are cut off from random steaks that either didn’t fit in the package or ends that were trimmed for aesthetic.
I’ve even spotted pieces of filet mignon in my packs and it is reasonably priced. Beef stew meat is so versatile. We also use it for Instant Pot Rice and Beef Soup Kharcho. If you aren’t able to find stew meat, another good option is boneless beef chuck.
The Best Red Wine for Cooking:
For Most cooking, a dry red wine is best. Please don’t use anything labeled “cooking wine.” You want to use a wine that would be considered drinkable. Some options include:
- Pinot Noir
- Soft Red by Ste Chapelle*
The wine adds amazing depth of flavor.
How to Make Beef Stew:
Here is a quick photo reference of how to make beef stew but be sure to watch the full video recipe below and you’ll see just how easy this is!
1. In a large, oven-proof pot, brown the bacon and remove to bowl.
2. While the bacon cooks, season 2 lbs of beef with 1/2 Tbsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper then toss with 1/4 cup flour. Add beef to the hot oil in 2 batches until browned, adding more oil as needed.
3. Add 2 cups wine and scrape to deglaze the pot. Add mushrooms and cook over medium heat 10 minutes.
4. While mushrooms simmer, heat a large skillet over medium/high heat, add 2 Tbsp olive oil, sliced carrots, diced onions and chopped garlic and sauté 4 minutes, then stir in 1 Tbsp tomato paste and add veggies to the pot.
5. Return Beef and bacon to the pot, add 4 cups beef broth, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and potatoes. Stir to combine and make sure potatoes are submerged. COVER and and bake at 325˚F for 1 hour and 45 min.
For a healthier stew, you can tilt the pot after it comes out of the oven to allow the liquid to pool to one side, then skim off any excess fat.
Written by I. J. Kinley & Natasha